Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Hitchhiking: Part I

     It's been a while. I'm currently sitting in Rio Grande, a small city on Tierra del Fuego; having just come from Ushuaia, I'm taking a couple days to relax, recover, and take advantage of some sweet, sweet internet time. I'd like to apologize for the lapse in updates: I've been keeping up with the writing, but it's been difficult to upload pictures on the road. This post won't cover everything up to the present date, but hopefully it will fill in some of the gaps and leave you with a decent enough sense of just what I've been up to.
*            *            *           
            After four months, twice the time I had originally planned but half of what felt sufficient, my time in Coyhaique had finally ended. Every day it felt like I learned twice as much as the day before it, and that the next day there was something new to be done. I became lost in the development of their projects, and time slipped away from me.
Planting carrots
But what exactly did we do on the farm? My last description was a bit incomplete. To call it a “farm” is a bit inaccurate; it was a form of subsistence farming, but even so, that seems to imply that they grow crops for survival. A better word would be “project,” a project in permaculture, and wasn’t just in the food. The entire idea behind it was to create a lifestyle with 100% organic self-dependency; that from the ground up, every aspect of their lives be organic, home grown, or hand-made; that they could remove themselves from industrialized food, tools, building materials…everything.


Made entirely from recycled and organic materials
             The project is a generation old: it was started by a group of people, among them Martín’s mother and father, who bought the land and planted the first trees, hundreds of them, resulting in a forest which now envelops the property on the fringe of town. Nowadays those first few have other work going on—when they were just starting out they couldn’t manage much without an income, and so are still “in the system”— but still live on the property in houses built, like all the structures there, with organic or recycled materials, and help out when they can. Martín and Paz are the real jewels of the project: with a field of pine trees, ample planting ground, and experts all around them, they’ve had an ideal space to cultivate the life they live now, and are constantly working to achieve that original goal of complete self-sustainability, always starting new projects and improving old ones.

            That work, for the most part, covers two main aspects of life: food and shelter. Though the food is a large, complicated process, the idea is to eliminate dependence on industrial production, and at this point the nearly all of their vegetables and many of their fruits are grown in their massive garden. At least five times the size of the house, it’s sown with seeds that were carefully cultivated over generations, traded with other organic farming projects, and fertilized with homemade mulch. That mulch is a compost made from their garden plants, their own discarded food scraps, and manure from their horse and her foal, constantly grazing lazily in the field, bought and cared for communally for just the purpose. Water comes from a stream uphill, run through a giant tube straight to their taps. All of this requires constant upkeep: the plants need careful, individualized care, from the first preparation of their beds to the harvesting of their fruit and seeds, and as diversity is key with so much depending on the season and climate, the work was never boring. As for shelter, every structure on the property is made from organic materials: the frames are constructed from the trunks of those original pine trees, the walls carefully molded with mud and recycled bottles and cans, and the roofs raised from grass lain on recycled plastic. In addition to their actual homes, other examples include a community hall used for meetings and classes, a tiny sauna, and a camp ground complete with showers, bathrooms, and a shelter for cooking. Between all these projects and day-to-day tasks such as caring for animals and fixing the odd broken fence, I was left with plenty to do.


Making mulch
Martín working outside the "community hall"
   Mingalegre, as I learned the project is called, is true to its namesake. Though I’ve struggled to find a direct definition or translation in English, the word “minga” in Spanish has to do with community effort: people coming together to do a job or project, saving time and energy and exchanging knowledge in the process. Martín and Paz embody this idea. Besides accepting volunteers (which is obviously the reason you’re reading about this), they were constantly teaching workshops and classes—both around the region and within their own garden—and organizing meetings and reunions with people from all over Patagonia in order to spread knowledge, sow the permacultural spirit, and establish and grow the network of like-minded people. By the end of my time there I got to know quite a few people who worked in permaculture, and in my travels I’m constantly surprised to find that people know of Mingalegre—sometimes by name, sometimes by description, and sometimes just by the people living there. More than once I’ve discussed the half-famous “hippies” (same in Spanish) living in mud houses on the edge of Coyhaique, and every so often I’ll find the odd picture in a magazine or news article.


Teaching a workshop












Mingalegre, fully functional



















*            *            *           

            As difficult as it was to leave, while in Coyhaique I had contacted a man in Tierra del Fuego about volunteering on his sheep farm, and we agreed that the job was to start the first week of January. So, with that destination in mind, I packed my things and left Mingalegre, walking to the edge of town. There was a lot of road between me and Tierra del Fuego, and my only means of covering it was hitchhiking. Luckily, I was quickly picked up by a local construction worker, and from then on it was nothing but freedom.
            Villa Cerro Castillo was my first stop, named for the famous National Reserve whose hiking trail and titular peak are located nearby. I spent the night in town and set out the next day on my hike. The reserve was gorgeous. The trail cut through a forest of lenga set on a steady incline, and after a few hours I was surrounded by intimidating peaks, jagged rock encrusted with glacial ice. I spent two days there. Day one was a light, winding climb through the forest. It was magical. Day two I started the real ascent, during which the trail gave way to the steep, rocky, ambiguous scramble the reserve is famous for. Where the first day I was treated to a smooth, distinct dirt trail that snaked through the forest, the second was more of a scavenge, spent poking my way from one vague landmark to the next, each further, sketchier, and more difficult to spot than the last. By the time I had reached the top, the ground had changed from dirt and sand to a bed of loose, sharp rocks, and the wind often threatened to knock me over. The view from the top, though, was worth it. Cerro Castillo is a landmark, a jagged, spindly peak that supports a glacier, perched high above its very own glacial lake. I skirted the edge of the massive formation and headed back down, ending up in the village once again. From there, it was one more night of rest and hot food before I was back on the road.

            My next destination was Lago General Carrera, where I needed to cross the border at a town called Chile Chico; for that, I had to take a boat from Puerto Ibañez, so I set my sights for there. Hitchhiking is easy out here in the country, always interesting and often a treat. You never know who you’ll meet. As I waited for a ride from Villa Cerro Castillo, some workers stopped to talk with me, intrigued by my guitar.




            Puerto Ibañez proved to be a quiet, boring little town, as did Chile Chico and Los Antiguos after it, but the boat ride between them was fun, as was the walk between Chile Chico and Los Antiguos. After a quiet weekend of border hopping, I was in Chile Chico with a fresh visa, looking to head to Cochrane. Chile Chico is a bit off the beaten path, and the only route back to the main highway is a tiny gravel road, threaded through the hills that border the lake. After waiting hours by the side of the road in Chile Chico, I was finally picked up, along with a group of Israeli backpackers going the same way, by a firewood truck returning from a day’s worth of deliveries in Chile Chico. We piled into the bed of the now empty truck and soon were bouncing along the rough road, which wound around hills and through the spaces between them, rising and falling, the lake constantly in view. Across the marble blue waters glowed massive, snowy Andean peaks, pale blue in the waning sunlight and reflected vaguely in the water where the glare from the sun outshone them. We had front-row seats to one of the best sunsets I’ve ever seen. The Israelis got much better pictures than I did, but that didn’t stop me from trying.




             Unfortunately, the leñador could only take us halfway, to a village between Chile Chico and the highway, so we were stuck for the night. The tiny town didn’t have much in the way of supplies and was devoid of hostels, so I spent the night camping by the side of the road with the Israelis, chatting about cultural differences, life goals, travel plans, and whatever else people talk about. The next morning we were up bright and early, and soon we were picked up by another friendly trucker who brought us to the crossing. The Israelis, heading north, were soon picked up by yet another supply truck, and with a wave and a shout were gone forever. Such is the road. I didn’t have such luck and had to wait a while longer, but a few hours later a bus passed me by headed for my destination: Cochrane.
            Yet another focal point along the winding Carretera Austral, Cochrane is a tiny city of less than 5000 inhabitants, nestled, like many other cities I’ve written about before it, among the Andes. From the town square one can see green hills and snowy peaks. Cochrane is especially quiet, and the people are extraordinarily friendly, down-to-earth, and peaceful. I enjoyed my stay there very much: that evening I checked into a campsite and found myself chatting with a German biker for hours. There are bikers everywhere along the Carretera. The next day I had a relaxing day hiking around the local reserve, which was set alongside a river of the purest, bluest water I’ve ever seen.





            Taking the advice of a friend from Coyhaique, the following day I decided to head to a bigger reserve in Valle Chacabuco. Preparing for a two-day hike, I bought some food (mostly cookies, bread, and avocado, the staples of my diet for…the entire month) and headed to the road, looking for a ride. I couldn’t have been luckier: within minutes I was picked up by the park owners, on their way back after a supply run. Not only did they give me a ride, a map, and some tips about the trail, but they also showed me around their fancy organic garden, gave me a place to store my guitar (thankfully), and gave me some chocolate for the road. Super nice guys. That night I set out for the trail, my load significantly lightened.
            The park turned out to be awesome. I spent three relaxing days wandering around and hiking at a cool pace. I slept in a forest and by the side of a lagoon. I spent a day off the beaten path, following tangled animal paths and scrambling up grassy hillsides towards a nearby hilltop. I took lots of bad pictures of guanacos, and I saw a Condor. Hiking alone is cool.
Lenga trees




Prime real estate



            From Cochrane my next destination was Caleta Tortél, and once again, hitchhiking made things far more interesting than I could have expected. As I walked to the edge of town, I passed a man waiting by the side of the road, with nothing but a small backpack and a massive bag of dog food. I sat with him for a few moments and we got to chatting; he told me he was from Tortél, that he had come north to buy food for his dogs—tremendous beasts, he showed me pictures—and that he was now on his way back. He didn’t own a vehicle, and didn’t see the point of paying for a bus when people would take you for free, so there he was. I sat with him for a bit, but soon felt I had to be on my way. The hitchhiker’s code dictates that you leave a traveler to his spot, and find your own. I wished him luck and continued down the road.


            It wasn’t long before a firewood truck offered to take me to the nearest intersection a few kilometers away, but from there I still had nearly 60 kilometers to go, and the sun was getting steadily lower in the sky, so I took out my guitar, hoping for a miracle. I hadn’t sat there for more than 5 minutes, however, when the man from the side of the road appeared and approached me, smiling. We sat together and chatted some more: he told me he had traveled the world for ten years as I was doing, with all his possessions on his back. I began to worry about the sinking sun, but just as I began considering the extra space in my tent a lonely little truck pulled up and offered us a ride. With our things in the back and the three of us piled in the cab, we set off. The truck was owned by a single driver, who used it for his own private business. We talked about the region, about work, about life and the universe. The usual. We passed lakes and mountains, and the gravel highway barreled through the ever-thickening foliage—we were truly entering deep Patagonia. It was a good drive.


            After a few hours of driving, we pulled over in the last minutes of the day’s sunlight. We had arrived at the man’s house; he offered to let us spend the night so we could try to catch a ride the next day in the morning. He was a wonderful host: he fed us and offered us beer. He asked us about our lives and ambitions, and told us of his. We had a great night, and just before retiring for bed the man from Tortél told me to find him when I got there. The next day, I woke up to the sound of passing cars, and found he had already gone. It wasn’t long before I was picked up by a couple of students from California who offered me a space in the bed of their pickup.
            Turns out being in the back of a truck is the way to travel. With my back to the window, I watched as the narrow gravel road snaked away behind me, disappearing behind towering cliff sides and thick vegetation: flourishing ferns, leafy bushes, pines, and the giant cypress that the region is famous for towering above it all. The road flowed through rivers and around lakes, and every so often we would pass a shelter with smoke billowing from the chimney, or a campesino with his herd of cows.



            Once we pulled into town, I walked with the couple who were nice enough to take me. They were ecology students, and told me that the climate in this area is technically high altitude rainforest. The only place in the world this type of climate exists is in Washington state. Pretty neat! As we walked, it became quickly apparent that what they said was true. Caleta Tortél is built on a series of wooden walkways which border the river, walkways which are constantly invaded by a diverse range of vegetation. It is a beautiful town.





The backend of Tortél's walkways, in the thick of the rainforest

            I searched for a while for somewhere to stay, but quickly remembered what the hitchhiker told me. I knew he worked with wood making figurines, trinkets, and other artisanal whatnots, I knew he had a shop in town, and I knew he was relatively well known by the name Chino. I set about asking people where to find him, and soon found myself at his house. It was nearly Christmas, so he and a friend were butchering a lamb as I arrived. He was truly Patagonian. We ate well that night. I spent the night on the floor of his workshop, with his giant dogs.
            Even though it was wet and rainy the next day, I spent the morning exploring the town, trying to get lost in the twisty network of walkways that climbed the hills surrounding the lake. That night Chino invited me to a friend’s place to share Christmas Eve dinner. It was a supremely nice gesture, and seeing as there are less than 700 people in the town in total, everyone knows everyone, so it was a pretty good party. Once again, we ate lamb.
            The next day I said my goodbyes and headed out for the road again. Someone gave me a ride to the intersection, again in the back of a pickup. The wind was blowing in my face as I watched the town shrink away. I spent Christmas waiting for a ride to the last stop on the Carretera: Villa O’Higgins. Christmas cheer was in short supply this year, apparently, as I didn’t get picked up until the next day. Hitchhiking is funny: if you spend one minute cursing humanity for ignoring you, you spend the next thanking it for being so kind and interesting. In the end, I made it to Villa O’Higgins just fine.


            Being the last stop on the Chilean side of the highway, my next job was to locate the ferry agency and buy passage across the lake, and then to wait until the fateful morning. Villa O’Higgins is tiny, tinier than any other town I had been to, and there wasn’t a lot going on, but I spent a couple days with a Swedish couple who were waiting for the same boat as I was. We chatted about travel and life and stuff. The boat ride itself was beautiful, three hours of choppy, icy blue glacial waters surrounded by pristine mountains, but I was too tired to take much notice.
            The landing was much more interesting than the voyage, however, because from here began my journey across the border: a 22 kilometer trek through forests, mountains, and muddy swamp. The first 15 km or so were on a lovely gravel road, surrounded by mountany forest, but in an instant the gravel abruptly ended and was replaced by a narrow, wet, muddy, bicycle tire marked foot trail. I followed the trail as best I could as it weaved between trees, crisscrossed rivers, cut through flooded meadows, and generally tried to throw me off as much as possible. After following what turned out to be an animal trail for nearly an hour, I gave up for the day and set up camp, but early the next day I awoke determined to find the end, and soon after I was greeted to the welcoming site of Fitz Roy looming in the distance. I was nearly there, and finally had a landmark to guide me.
24 km to go


In the middle of nowhere

A most tricky trail

A very, very welcome sight

Very tricky indeed
            After checking in to the country at the Army base, I took another boat across a different lake and caught a ride into town. The hike to Fitz Roy turned out to be more or less a day hike, but I took my time and enjoyed it all the same. Lenga forests had become par for the course at this point, but I was treated to some fresh views of valleys and a truly impressive peak.



            After El Chaltén was El Calafate; I got a ride from an airport taxi driver with a soft spot for hitchhikers. We got along great. El Calafate was pretty boring, but I was able to make a fire and cook some hamburgers, a welcome change after weeks of raw veggies and bread. From El Calafate the destination was Puerto Natales; a nearly fruitless day of standing beside the road eventually yielded a friendly van driver who took me the entire 300-something kilometers, including the border crossing, which is generally a no-no. We discussed all the usual topics, but it’s always nice to get a fresh take on things.

            Just as soon as it had started, I was back in Puerto Natales, almost exactly a year after I had been there last. It was as beautiful as ever, dark and windy despite it’s 16 hour days.  I spent a night there and booked a bus to Punta Arenas, where I would meet my next host and begin the next phase of my trip. As glad as I was to have a bed and homemade food, I was sad for the lost of freedom that only the open road can afford. But at last, my back was to take a rest, and for that I was thankful.































No comments:

Post a Comment